Yatoya's Exar Kun - Tip Guide

Why a tip guide and not a step by step guide of how to. There is already the SWG WIKI which provides that information, along with other servers that copy and paste the exact same information. You can easily find such information by typing "swg exar kun" in a search engine like Google.

The following video was performed on SWG Evolve server, what you experience on SWG Evolve may be different then what you may experience on a generic new game enhancements (NGE) server.

Character used Yatoya's Rifleman/Assassin Build.

Phase 1: The Open Hand of Fate (Intro-5:00)
In this phase you will be dealing with small balls of electricity damage coming down from the ceiling. The Open Hand of Fate boss will place a debuff with the phrase "My pain runs deep. let me share it with you." and the damage you do will be reflect back to you. Periodically the boss will say "Let your fervor rise" at which time an Exar Kun cultist comes to his aide. You should try to kill these quickly or the boss will receive a heal.

In the video with a macro button smashing all my heals and attacks I can easily tank this phase solo.

Tips: Phase 1
1. AoE damage cannot be avoided so the small balls of electricity damage will always hit, one needs enough healing to be able to recover from all damage received.
2. An Exar Kun cultist does very little damage if your build as a tank, but triggers the boss to heal, kill them quickly. In the video I place the cultist between me and the boss so that my cone attacks will continue to do damage to both the cultist and the boss.
3. If you are receiving to much damage from the reflect stop firing on the boss, if you have alts on assist macro target one of them and if they have heals they will start applying heals to who is targeted. With the build I used in this video this phase is actually easier alone then with alts.

Phase 2: The Minder of Weak Wills (5:27-7:25)
In this phase you will be fighting the boss The Minder of Weak Wills along with a bat called Vin'rith and a monkey called Mother Luresh. Vin'rith and Mother Luresh call support in which you will the area becomes flooded with additional hostile bats and monkeys if they are not taken out fast enough.

In the video I kill Mother Luresh first and Vin'rith second, I ignore the smaller bats and monkeys, the AoE damage caused by my Shock Grenade deals plenty of damage to finish off the smaller bats and monkeys.

Tips: Phase 2
1. Kill Mother Luresh and Vin'rith first, if you do not and you decide to kill The Minder of Weak Wills first you will bug out the instance and fail preventing you from proceeding.

Phase 3: The Care Taker of the Lost (7:30-16:05)
In this phase you will be dealing with a lightning attack from The Care Taker of the Lost, consecutive hits can hurt especially near the end of this phase. Occasionally you will be attacked by a Tomb Guardian, a pain bringer, a calming influence, under normal NGE mechanics you may want to attack these in a specific order on Evolve I find no reason to focus on any specific one. Last of all you have the Executioner and caretaker protector, that become active during specific sequences during the phase.

In the video I follow the normal procedure. A slave makes a comment in white letters saying they know how to stop the ritual, the slave makes a second comment in yellow letters followed by the Executioner becomes attack-able, kill the Executioner before it reaches the slave, the slave then proceeds to the caretaker protector and dies, kill the caretaker protector that now has become attack-able, repeat this 4 times. Once the caretaker protector are all dead the boss The Care Taker of the Lost can receive significantly more damage, at this point the boss also deals more damage with the lightning attack.

In the video I try to keep my pet alive especially during the time when the boss is able to deal more damage and receive more damage. It may have been coincidence that the boss kept aggro on my pet even after the pet had died, this allowed me to finish the phase without receiving significant damage. Please see Tips below for alternative methods.

Tips: Phase 3
1. You can avoid doing the above sequences all together on SWG Evolve, you will not fail if the slaves are killed by the Executioner. If you have enough dps but cannot tank the final lightning attacks from the boss The Care Taker of the Lost you can slowly take out the boss by continuous attacks, this generally takes longer but is safer.
2. Take out the Tomb Guardian, a pain bringer, a calming influence as often as possible, otherwise they will double or triple up and you start taking way to much damage from them.
3. Stay out of the gas during the final stage of the battle it will kill you if you remain in it to long, keep moving in a circle motion around the room. If melee make occasional trips to the center when the gas is cleared enough to be within 5m melee range.

Phase 4: The Clenched Fist of Hate (18:00-20:35)
According to the wiki you stay in one spot to long or step on someone you trigger flames. These flames will kill you. The boss can hit pretty hard but with enough tanking and healing you should be fine to recover between the hits.

Tips: Phase 4
1. You are not required to remain in the small confines of the room with the boss The Clenched Fist of Hate, you have all the hallway behind you, slowly lure the boss across the bridge keeping to one side.

Phase 5: The 4 Horsemen (21:00-27:00)
The most difficult phase of Exar Kun Heroic. I used all my buffs in the video knowing that I would need to tank and heal for a time some of the hardest hits ingame.
Going to shorten the names here, Unquenchable requires weapon swap ranged only, Promised is ranged only, Embraced is melee only, Lingering is melee only. If you deal SINGLE target ranged damage to the melee only, they get a damage boost and deal 40k damage to you YOU DIE. If you deal ANY melee based damage to the ranged only (this includes a cone area Fanshot while equipped with a melee weapon), they get a damage boost and deal 40k damage to you YOU DIE.

Weapon Swap, you watch the Unquenchable status bar get a buff that indicates which element to switch to, if you do not switch fast enough they get a damage boost and deal 40k damage to you YOU DIE.

I like to follow the following sequence Unquenchable first which requires the weapon swap, if someone else is assisting they can start attacking the other horsemen after the weapon swap player holds aggro, if I am doing this phase with my alts I place them on medic duty no attacks. Next I take Promised since I still have a ranged weapon equipped. Switch weapons to melee and take out either Embraced or Lingering, notice you can handle the 2 melee only bosses faster if you split them up and have 2 players kill them equally.

Tips: Phase 5
1. If you are soloing you need all 4 elements in ranged, and 1 melee weapon.
2. Many ranged abilities can be used with melee weapons, so just keep using your range abilities on the melee only bosses.
3. When switching between the bosses you will likely want to stop your macro (as seen in the video, almost died 2k health), or switch to a medic only toolbar layout as you switch to the next boss, thus avoiding dealing the wrong type of damage to the next target.
4. Embraced and Lingering take 0 area damage, do not be afraid to use ranged area attacks, just be sure not to use SINGLE target attacks.

Phase 6: Exar Kun Wordbearer (27:00-28:00)
As soon as Phase 5 is complete you begin Phase 6, just like Phase 1 you will receive AoE damage from small electrical orbs dropping from the ceiling, much more rapid this time. As seen in the video I started taking more damage then I could heal so I started running around the room.

Tips: Phase 6
1. If you cannot tank the hits and are lacking enough healing move around the room to avoid damage.

Phase 7: Exar Kun and Massassi Enforcer Blade (28:05-End)
The worst of the heroic is over now you just need to take out Exar Kun and the Massassi Enforcer Blade. As seen in the video I chose the Massassi Enforcer Blade to be taken down first then I finished with Exar Kun. With the build in the video I easily tank and heal all the damage.

Tips: Phase 7
1. Be sure to finish the Heroic. Congrats.

Last edited:
Reactions: voronius